Gastronomy and Viticulture
‘Wine is passion. It’s family and friends. It’s warmth of heart and generosity of spirit. Wine is art. It’s culture. It’s the essence of civilization and the art of living.’ Robert Mondavi
For the sommeliers at heart or even those who simply appreciate quality wine, Stellenbosch is the ideal vacation for you and Le Grand Jardin is dedicated to helping you explore your passions.
Welcome to wine country and the Dionysian pleasures of the Devon Valley in Stellenbosch. Whether you are a budding sommelier or someone for whom a holiday is synonymous with good wine and good food enjoyed in a spectacular environment – you’ve come to the right place. At Le Grand Jardin, wine is our raison d’etre and the prized product of this beautiful land we get to call home.
In partnership with our sister wine estate, Le Grand Domaine, we offer our guests the opportunity to do a wine tasting in the comfort of the villa. Or, if you’d like to learn about the technical side of the viticulture process, you can join us down the road at Le Grand Domaine Estate for a wine blending experience followed by a barrel tasting of our high end, export only wines.
Tastings from R150 per person.
- Barrel tasting at Grand Domaine (R150 per person)
- 7 Fires Cooking Experience, there’s an elemental, wild nature to cooking over an open fire not to mention the flavour cooking over a fire gives food. This incredible alfresco eating experience will be overseen by Nicole, our head chef, with vegetarian options available too. (R950 per person)
- Pizza Night with thin-based pizzas and a variety of toppings to suit your preference. (R250 per person)
- Gelato from our Ice Cream Trolley of Wonder - guests may choose from 3 flavour of ice creams (gelato, vegan, sugar free and sorbet options are included) from the Ice Zeit menu we send them, we also provide cones and chocolate and caramel sauces, as well as sprinkles and nuts. R3 000 for the day.
- Have a Braai (BBQ) next to the glasshouse where you can choose from three personalized menu options that include 2 protein options and 2 seasonal salads, braai broodjies (a South African delicacy like a toasted sandwich) and mielies. Dessert is included but not wine. (R450 per person)
- A beach BBQ at our sister villa, Bungalow 52 on Clifton 4th beachwhere you can choose from three personalized menu options that include 2 protein options and 2 seasonal salads, braai broodjies (a South African delicacy like a toasted sandwich) and mielies. Dessert is included but not wine. (R450 per person). . (Maximum six guests and R450per person)
- Mad Hatter’s Tea Party with a selection of speciality teas on offer as well as a variety of sandwiches, tarts, cakes and other delectable sweet and savourty eats. (R400 per person)
- Baking brownies with Chef Nicole as she shares her family’s brownie recipe with you. (R50 per person)
- Wine Tasting in our cellar (R150 per person) where you will be hosted by our winemaker Debbie Thompson and presented with five wines from the Le Grand Domaine cellars. Le Grand Domaine is owned by Origin Vineyards, a premium wine business founded by Le Jardin’s owner Bernard Fontannaz. Bernard’s family has been making wine in Switzerland for two generations and today he continues that passion with vineyards here in South Africa and in Argentina.